Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Reflection on New Media Session

Reflecting upon the session, it was quite intriguing to hear the views of classmates on a number of questions, especially in respect to the threat of New Media to Literary studies. As someone who has studied both Literature and Media in my schooling thus far, I believe that both can very much co-exist, and that as I had mentioned in class, may simply lead to new forms of consumption of literature, helping to ensure the study of literature continues on well past the heyday of the printed book.

Thinking about New vs Old Media also had me reflecting upon the resurgence of many "Old Media" devices that are now popular again, such as the Record Player. Perhaps due to my age, or my circle of friends, it's more likely that I will hear someone speak about purchasing vinyl (and often go purchase it) than I will hear say they are going to buy that compact disc (CD), which was one of the forms of New Media that replaced it. It's not that the record player has been upgraded or changed, but that nostalgia and unique qualities of certain media forms evoke something that cannot be replicated in some forms of New Media. Wonderful discussions in class, that left me thinking. Looking forward to the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment